Letting Go of Perfectionism

1.11.13

I know many people who are, like myself, perfectionists. We can be hard on ourselves, even unforgiving. If we don't do well on an assignment or project at work, we just can't let it go. The sinking feeling that accompanies "failure" takes a toll, dampening our mood and leaving us feeling not good enough.

Something I've come to realize over the last few weeks, however, is that perfectionism in itself is not a bad thing. It's when we lose sight of our goals that creates a problem.

My goal in studying Creative Communications is to learn all that I can from my instructors and peers so I can start my professional career in six months with a solid understanding of communications and what is expected of me in the industry. This is not the same as getting an "A" on every assignment. Admitting I've made a few mistakes and focusing on how I can improve my work on the other hand, is aligned with my underlying goals.

It feels good to remind myself of what I'm actually striving for and to recognize that it's OK to be a perfectionist about some things like doing my best at soaking up all that I can. 

At the end of the day, if I'm putting in my best effort to learn and improve, then I'm steadily working toward my goal. And that's all I can ask of myself.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Meghan Franklin Communications All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design Powered by Blogger